Commercial Fishing Crew Member License

  • You need a crew member license if you participate directly or indirectly in commercial fishing operations.
  • You need a crew member license if you handle fishing gear or assist in vessel maintenance, navigation, docking, or the operation of a fishing vessel, tender, processing vessel, or any other vessel used to transport fish.
  • You need a crew member license if your primary duty is to process fish aboard a vessel and you also perform any other duty that directly or indirectly contributes to the fishing operations of the vessel, even briefly.
  • You do not need a crew member license if you work aboard a processing vessel and you only process fish; if are a Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission (CFEC) permit holder; or a guest or visitor who does not directly or indirectly participate in commercial fishing operations.
  • All commercial crew members must have social security numbers, including those who are not citizens of the United States. Social Security numbers can be obtained by contacting the U.S. Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. Immigration questions should be directed to 1-800-375-5283.

Buy Your Crew Member License Here

Child Support

Under the authority of Alaska Statute 25.27.244, the Department of Fish and Game matches each licensee against the Alaska Child Support Services' (CSSD) outstanding child support list. Notice will be served to crewmembers who are not in substantial compliance with a child support order and their license is null and void at the time of purchase. Noncompliant licensee's may be subject to criminal sanctions for participation in any commercial crewmember activities. The Alaska State Troopers will also be notified and assisting Fish and Game in enforcing child support compliance.

To rectify a situation with a child support payment, the licensee must contact Child Support Services Division (CSSD) at 907-269-6897. CSSD will contact Fish and Game when the licensee is in compliance with their child support order. A temporary license may be requested by filing a written request to the Department of Fish and Game.

Wage Claims

As a commercial Crew Member, you can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor if you are not compensated for the time of employment. Please visit the Department of Labor Wage and Hour Administration webpage for more information. The Seattle District Office can be reached at (206) 398-8039 or call the Wage and Hour Nationwide toll free number at 1-800-487-9243.

Assistance After a Work Injury

The Fishermen's Fund may be able to help with your medical expenses if you are a commercial fisherman injured while working in Alaska. To qualify for benefits you must have a valid crewmember license or Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission permit at the time of injury. Purchase your license or permit as soon as possible. If you were injured while commercial fishing learn more about the Fishermen's Fund by visiting or call 1-888-520-2766 for more information.