Download the Alaska Ice Fishing Curriculum
For many people, the thought of standing on a frozen lake, staring down into a little hole, is less appealing than a trip to the dentist. For the knowledgeable, hardy soul it can be a great way to combat those winter blues. With some basic knowledge, techniques and a little equipment you can enjoy sport fishing through the winter months.
"A Cure for the Cold, Let's Go Ice Fishing" curriculum is designed to help the beginning angler understand the basic principles of ice fishing and the importance of responsible resource use in maintaining a healthy fishery.
At the conclusion of this curriculum, you should have a general knowledge of fishing in the winter, ecology, ethics, responsible outdoor behavior, and safety.
- Download Complete Curriculum (PDF 1,765 kB)
- Download a Chapter:
- COVER (PDF 64 kB)
- TABLE OF CONTENTS (PDF 66 kB)
- INTRODUCTION (PDF 96 kB)
- Chapter 1. TO FISH ANOTHER DAY (safety) (PDF 218 kB)
- Chapter 2. THE WAR AGAINST WINTER (combating the cold) (PDF 291 kB)
- Chapter 3. THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB (equipment) (PDF 185 kB)
- Chapter 4. ENTICING A STRIKE (tackle and bait) (PDF 201 kB)
- Chapter 5. WINTER HABITS AND HABITATS (fish in the winter) (PDF 89 kB)
- Chapter 6. WHITE ICE IS NICE (ethics) (PDF 88 kB)
- Chapter 7. WHAT LUCK? (sustainability) (PDF 69 kB)
- Chapter 8. BIG EAT SMALL (predator-prey) (PDF 63 kB)
- Chapter 9. WHO AM I? (general characteristics) (PDF 71 kB)
- Chapter 10. WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE? (fish identification guide) (PDF 264 kB)
- Chapter 11. FISH ON! (Catch-and-release or catch-and-keep) (PDF 84 kB)
- GLOSSARY OF TERMS (PDF 52 kB)
- REFERENCES (PDF 54 kB)